The Senior Center of Greater Richmond is celebrating over 55 years providing opportunities for seniors in the Richmond, Virginia area. We offer programs at various locations in the Richmond area on a regular basis. Our members take an active role in planning and developing our programs. We offer new ideas and new interests in new opportunities as we age in health and wellness with friends. We provide activities for seniors, age 50 and older, from the Greater Richmond Virginia area. Seniors choose the activities that they want to participate in based on their own interests.
The Senior Center is a virtual center for our members, who are active, independent adults. We meet at 4 or 5 partner locations on a regular basis and issue a schedule of events and newsletter each month for member planning. The locations we use are very stable and our program diverse and balanced. Most activities are free but when there is a charge, that activity is flagged with a $ and is explained in detail in our newsletter.
- On Mondays, we offer Chair Yoga at St. Stephens Church on Grove near Staples Mill. This activity does have a modest fee, $5 per class.
- On Mondays, we also meet in South Richmond/North Chesterfield at the ARBORS on Forest Hill Avenue on the 1st and 3rd Mondays. We are looking for a new Chesterfield County location.
- On Tuesdays and Fridays, at Battery Park Christian Church at 4201 Brook Road (open 10 - 4 with exercise, programs, lunch and more). No charge unless the event is flagged with a $.
- On Tuesdays and Thursdays we also meet in East Richmond at 1708 N. 22nd Street from 10am - 1pm (Peter Paul Development Center ($10 per month and no charge for lunches).
- On Thursdays at GRAP/SwimRVA, the Greater Richmond Aquatics Center, where we enjoy our choice of Line Dancing, Chair Exercise, and Aquatics Exercise. We have van transport from the near West End, Maywill and Thalbro Streets near Willow Lawn, to the Aquatics Center and back (Lv at 9:15AM return at 3:15PM. Many of our members drive to this activity.
- On Thursdays, we also offer program selections at First Baptist Church (from 10 or 11am until 3pm) (Closed for August)
- Starting in September and running through May, some members go to the Visual Arts Center specialized arts and crafts activity series.
- On Wednesdays we have special events including trips and local events.
Membership in the organization is $85 for a 12 month period (starting when you join) or $10 per month (if you prefer to pay monthly, for a total of $120). Some events and activities have a cost attached and appear in the schedule with a $ symbol and are explained in the newsletter. We do not provide supervision at our activities and many activities are led by member volunteers. Members pick and choose their activities. We encourage all members to participate in exercise programs and in wellness presentations and then suggest that everyone try to pursue some of their special interests from games and conversation to arts and crafts. We have a fun travel program and offer day trips to our members and to guests (for a small increase in price). You can "Try Us Out" for one activity by making a reservation through me or pay $10 for one month...so you can come to several events. That $10 is applied to your annual membership. We do ask our members to register for events by phone or email so we have enough food for everyone when they come to one of our sites.
The addresses of our locations are located on the back of the schedule. I am attaching this month's schedule, newsletter and application. If you would like additional information, please feel free to contact me.
Hopefully this will help. We would love to have you try us out and join us for an activity soon or even this Friday. Please call to reserve your seat at the Try Us Out Table. If you have any questions, give me call on my cell. We would love to meet you.